Paralysed man moves his hand using computer chip inserted in his brain


A CHIP implanted in a paralysed man’s brain lets him make a coffee using the power of thought alone. Ian Burkhart could not move his limbs after breaking his spine while swimming in 2010. 
But with the NeuroLife implant, which reads brain patterns, he can stir a cup of coffee, put a phone to his ear and play console games.

It bypasses the damaged spinal cord and reconnects the brain directly to muscles using an electronic sleeve, allowing a person to move using thoughts.
Ian, 24, said: “The first time I was able to open and close my hand it really gave me hope for the future. “Now things are moving along even better than I imagined. If or when I can use this system outside the lab it will really increase my quality of life and independence.”

No comments